Abu Simbal Temples
The temples of Abu Simble are one of the most interesting pharonic temples located near the Southern borders with the Sudan. It is located 280 km to the South of Aswan and it consists of two rock-cut temples both date back to the reign of Ramsis II (1290-1223 BC). Unfortunately these two unique temples suffered from the raising water of Nasser Lake after while building the high dam , therefore UNESCO helped the country and contributed to save them. The two temples were cut to number of pieces, then they were reconstructed again in a high site 65 M higher than the origianl location and 200 M back in land to escape the rising water level . The works of this great rescue operation began in June 1964 and finished in September 1968. The first temple was built by king Ramsis II and dedicated to god Re-Hor-Akhty, Amon, Ptah, and king Ramsis II as a deified person. Its façade is 35 m. long and 30 m. high. The façade has four seated colossi of the king, each one is 20 M in height and represents the king seated on his throne wearing the double crown, while accompanied by 3 small figures of his wives, daughter s and sons flanking his legs.
Temple of Komombo
The temple stands on the east bank of the Nile, right one the Nile bank located almost 4 KM far from the town, it was dedicated two gods, Horus and Sobik Mainly the temple was dedicated to go Sobik the crocodile god, together with his wife in another form of goddess Hathor. The temple is Greco roman structure, it dates back to the year 119 BC, and it was built out of limestone by Ptolemy VI who started the construction. The emperor Neo Dionysus finished most of the building while the emperor Augustus finished the final touches.
The Temple of Edfu
Edfu is located 60 Km to the north of Aswan. It was the 2 nd Nome of Upper Egypt and the centre of the cult of a triad of gods which consists of Horus of Behdet, Hathor, and their son Hor - Sama-Tawy. In the old Greek documents, Edfu was known by “Apollopolis Magna” because the Greek identified Horus with God Apollo. Edfu was a flourishing city during ancient Times. Today the most important monument in the city of Edfu is the temple of Horus which is considered one of the most beautiful and preserved temples in Egypt.
Philae is a rocky island in the middle of the course of the Nile located at the south ern Aswan. It was called in Hieroglyphic “Apo” which means Ivory . I t was called known bye the Greek Elephantine , most probably it was an important scepter of trade especially for the ivory. Ancient Egyptian built a beautiful and magnificent temple on this island for goddess Isis, the temple had submerged in the water after building the first Aswan dam in 1906.
The Unfinished Obelisk
This unfinished obelisk lies in its original location in a quarry of granite in Aswan. It is 42 m. in height. Most probably it was abandoned in its place after discovering some cracks in the rock. id this one was to be complete it would have been the heaviest obelisk ever been cut in Ancient Egypt , the obelisk alone wait 1100 tons.
The High Dam
The High Dam of Aswan is a great project. In fact it was one of the most important achievements of the in the last century in Egypt, even for many years it was a symbol of the New Era of the Revolution of 1952. I t provide d Egypt with water and electricity and secured the country of the risk of the destructive inundation. After the revolution of July 1952 president Nasser announced his proposal for building the High Dam, but met with Western refusals to co-operate so he turned to the Soviet Union asking them for both the technological and the financial aids. The result was the present rock-fill dam structure.
Tomb Chapels of the Nobels
Elephantine Island, The Botanic Island